The Japan Association of College English Teachers (JACET)
CALL FOR PAPERS: The JACET 52nd International Convention
Theme: Collaboration and Relativization in English Language Education
August 30 (Fri.) – September 1 (Sun.), 2013
Kyoto University, Yoshida Campus
Yoshida Nihonmatsu-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, 606-8501, JAPAN
Note: The following points are different from the Call for Papers last year:
1) In a group presentation, if the first presenter is a JACET member, the other presenters do not need to be JACET members. However, if the first presenter is a member of a JACET overseas affiliate, the other presenters must be either a member of a JACET overseas affiliate or a JACET member.
For the Student Member Special Presentations, the applicants must be JACET student members.
2) Selected Papers will be published after the conference. There will be no Conference Proceedings.
1. Major topic areas
Convention Theme; Corpus; Curriculum (Pedagogy); ESP/EAP; Grammar (Syntax); ICT/CALL; Language policy（ELF,WE); Learner Development (Motivation, Strategies, Autonomy, Learner beliefs); Linguistics; Listening;Psycholinguistics; Reading; SLA (Child language acquisition, Bilingualism, Immersion, Interlanguage); Sociolinguistics (Pragmatics); Speaking (Phonetics, Phonology, Pronunciation, Conversation Analysis); Teacher Education; Testing and Assessment; Vocabulary (Lexicography); Writing
2. Document submission requirements
2.1 Presentation types
(1) Research Paper on the convention theme, ELT or related disciplines: 25 min.including 5~10 min. for Q&A.
(2) Case study such as a report on classroom activities or ELT curriculum innovation: 25 min. including 5~10 min. for Q&A.
(3) Symposium: Each presenter makes a presentation followed by discussion of the presenters and the floor: 85 minutes.
(4) Workshop: The participants engage in tasks with the guidance of the presenters: 85 minutes.
(5) Poster Session: One day. Posters must fit in a panel that is approximately 120cm×180cm
The presenters must be available during the designated one-hour period.
(6) Publisher’s Presentation: 25 min. including 5~10 min. for Q&A. This type should focus on materials for college English
education, and should be presented primarily by the author, editor, or supervising editor.
2.2 Student member special presentations
(1) This is a special presentation type for members who are registered as a student member as of the day when the proposal is submitted. Check the “student member special presentation” type, if you wish to submit an abstract for this presentation type.
(2) “Students member special presentations” should be a Research Paper, Case Study, or Poster Session.
(3) Successful applicants will be granted free entry to the convention and free admission to the party.
(4) All student member presenters will be candidates for the Best Student Presentation Award. The winner will be presented with the award during the convention.
(5) For a group presentation, all members have to be student members of JACET.
(6) Student members can apply for other presentations in 2.1 above, but cannot apply for both.
(1) To be eligible to present, the presenter (or in a group presentation, the first presenter) must be either a. or b. below:
a. A JACET member who has paid this year’s membership fee. If the JACET office has not received the membership payment, the applicant will not be eligible for the screening. If the first author is not a JACET member, he or she must become a member prior to submitting. Please visit http://www.jacet.org/admission.html for a membership application.
Note: For group presentations, other presenters do not need to be JACET members.
b. A member of an overseas JACET affiliate (ALAK, CELEA, ETA-ROC, IATEFL, KATE, MELTA, PKETA, SEAMEO,RELC, Thai TESOL). Colleagues overseas who are not members of the affiliated organizations need to become a JACET member in order to be eligible for screening. To join JACET, please go to http://www.jacet.org/admission.html
Note: For group presentations, if the first author is a member of an overseas JACET affiliate, then all other presenters must be either a member of an overseas JACET affiliate or a JACET member. Those who are not, must apply for membership.
(2) Each member is eligible for only one presentation. Publishers also can only present once per publisher.
(3) Papers should not have been previously published or presented.
(4) Papers should be presented at the convention by their authors. All authors must be present at the time of their presentation. In case of emergency, notify the JACET office.
(5) Presenting in English is highly encouraged.
(6) All types of presentations should, as a basic rule, have no more than 5 presenters.
2.4 Application Procedure –All applications must be done online
(1) Presentation Abstract: 300 words maximum for presentations in English, 800 characters max. for presentations inJapanese.
Research Paper, Poster Session, Publisher’s Presentations: Include aim, hypothesis, methods, conclusion etc.
Case study: Include student profiles, number of students, class objectives, lesson procedure etc.
Symposium, Workshop: Include aim, content etc.
ote: The abstract will appear in “The 52nd International Convention Program.” Do not include charts, graphs, special characters or references in the abstract. Please follow the format of the sample on the submission website.
(2) Biographical Data: 50 words max. in English for all presenters.
Note: Biographical data will appear in the “The 52nd International Convention Program” and will not be used for any other purposes. Please follow the model format on our homepage when writing your biodata.
Important: Once your proposal has been accepted for presentation, your submitted Abstract and Biographical Data will be used for the convention program as submitted. Changes will not be permitted, so carefully check the version you submit.
(3) Requesting Equipment:
When you apply online, check the boxes for the equipment you need. Do not request an OHC as backup for computer problems.
Changes of equipment cannot be accepted, so please choose carefully.
・ Bring your own computer.
・ If you need audio output, bring your own audio cable.
・ A projector and cables for connecting the computer to the projector will be available on site. (D-sub 15 pin)
・ Connection to the Internet will not be available as a general rule. Please contact us if it is necessary.
(4) Online Application Steps:
1. On the JACET homepage (www.jacet.org), proceed to Go to the JACET 52 website and click on Proposal Submission.
2. Fill in all required items for the application form. For a group presentation, the first presenter should apply.
3. Click Submit only one time.
4. Print the [Confirmation of Submission Email] that will be sent to the first presenter and keep a copy as evidence that your application has been received.
2.5 The submission period is January 8 (Tue.) ~ February 8 (Fri.), 2013 (23:59:59 JST).
3. Selection of Presentations
After the final selection, the first presenter will be notified by email of the status of the proposal at the end of March, 2013.
4. The 52nd International Convention Selected Papers
Successful applicants are encouraged to submit a paper for the Selected Papers. Guidelines and further details for the Selected Papers will be sent at a later date. (There will be no Conference Proceedings.)
5. For inquiries, please email by February 5th (Tue.) at the latest: firstname.lastname@example.org
Any email inquiries sent after that time may not be answered in time for the deadline.
Telephone inquiries to the JACET Office can only be received 10am to 5pm on weekdays.